Thursday, August 16, 2012

Keisha Head, Sexual Slavery Survivor


Keisha Head says she is a survivor because she survived her pain, not because she escaped something horrific.
“I am not a survivor because I escaped something horrific,”  “I am a survivor because I allowed my pain and losses to transform me into God's instrument of greatness.”  She has worked with a number of organizations, includeing Polaris Project, the Boys and Girls Club, Juvenile Justice Fund, the Law and Society Association and Job Corp.

In April 2012, Keisha stood with other survivors to deliver closing remarks at the U.S. Department of Justice Trafficking in Persons Symposium in Salt Lake City, UT.

“I was very angry, shy, and withdrawn,” said Keisha, “I used to call myself unlovable - I felt like I was different from my peers.”
Keisha was born in Atlanta Georgia.  Her homelife was unstable because her mother suffered from schizophrenia and couldn't care for her.  Keisha's mother cannot recall who Keisha's father is due to her mental disease.  For that reason Keisha doesn't know who he is either. 

Keisha was removed from her mother's home when she was 12 years old and has gone through many foster homes and group homes.  She ran away often because she never felt love from any of the people she was placed with.  By the time she was 16 years old, Keisha was a mother with a newborn baby.  She of course was forced to give away custody to her boyfriend's family since she was unable to care for the child.   She dealt with the pain by running away from child protective services.

Having no place to go, she turned to a childhood friend who thought she could help her.  Keisha's childhood church friend introduced her to Charles Pipkins, a pimp known as "Sir Charles".  At this point, the nightmare began for Keisha.


http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/speaking-out/2012/aug/8/interview-with-keisha-head/


No comments:

Post a Comment